As seen in the Odessa American “Medical Matters”.
by Dr. Avelino Garcia
Life moves pretty quickly and the thought of not being able to perform your normal daily activities due to a gynecological surgery can be daunting. There is no need for worry! There is a technique known as “Single Site” that is available with a surgeon utilizing the Da Vinci Robotic Surgical System.
The Da Vinci Robotic System has been around for a while. However, the skills of the surgeon to treat patients in the least invasive way possible are available right here in Odessa. Surgeries that used to be completed with large incisions, or multiple incisions, can now be completed with assistance of the Da Vinci Robotic Surgical System and one single incision.
There are many benefits for a patient when the SINGLE SITE approach is utilized:
- Performing procedures using this approach is virtually scarless for the patient.
- Having a smaller incision reduces recovery time for the patient.
- The reduction in recovery time means that the patient is back to performing normal activities of daily life, like caring for family members or working, faster than if a more invasive approach with multiple incisions or a large incision was used.
- Less time away from work and family reduces costs for the patient.
- The risk for complications is greatly reduced with a less invasive surgical approach.
- The risk for pain, infection and bleeding is reduced with a single incision surgery as the robotic system allows for very precise surgical movements by the surgeon.
Advancements in robotic technology allow the hand movements of the surgeon to be translated into small, very precise movements of tiny instruments used inside of the patient’s body. One of these instruments, a laparoscope (a thin tube with a tiny camera and light attached), sends images to a video monitor in the operating room to guide the doctor during the procedure. The surgeon has total control of the Da Vinci Robotic Surgical System at all times (source: www.davincisurgery.com).
Many gynecologic issues can be addressed using robotic surgery including severe pelvic pain, abnormal or very heavy vaginal bleeding, uterine fibroids and pelvic prolapse which is the falling/slipping of a pelvic organ. Some procedures that can be completed with assistance of the Da Vinci Robotic Surgical System include hysterectomy, endometriosis resection, myomectomies, re-section of ovarian cysts or management of other gynecological problems.
If you or someone you care about has been postponing a procedure due to fear of a long recovery time, please share this information about SINGLE SITE procedures now available with robotic surgery. It is time to feel better and get back to your life quickly!